Health Matters

Health Matters

By Michelle Mortensen

There are no shortage of great doctors and dentists in Southern Nevada, but there are always a few bad apples in a bunch!

I get calls from people on a monthly basis wanting to know what they can do when they dislike the treatment they have received from a doctor, nurse or dentist. There are actually very specific actions you can take, but you have to know whom to call. Unfortunately, due to medical privacy laws known as HIPPA, there is very little a journalist can often do on your behalf. I can admit, I’ve orchestrated some victories for locals, but more often than not, your best bet is to contact the medical boards.

Below, I have the contact numbers for anyone you may need to contact if you have had a bad experience:

A doctor:

Contact the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners at 888-890-8210 or the Nevada State Board of Osteopathic Medicine at 732-2147.

A nurse:

Contact the Nevada State Board of Nursing at 486-5800.

A hospital or other health care facility:

Call the Nevada State Health Division at 486-6515. Hospital complaints can also be directed to the Joint Commission, which accredits facilities, at 800-994-6610.

Doctors or hospitals:

Medicare patients can call Health Insight, a nonprofit organization hired by Medicare to improve the quality of care, at 800-748-6773.

Before you go to any medical professional or facility, do your research. You can find out a lot online these days.